2002 RETURN TO THE SABBAT

2002

JAN

SIMON JONES LEAVES

JAN 16

Britain’s RETURN TO THE SABBAT have parted ways with guitarist Simon Jones. No replacement has yet been announced.

ANDY NEWBY JOINS

PRESS RELEASE JAN 24

RETURN TO THE SABBAT have replaced guitarist Simon Jones with Andy Newby, according to Metaluk.com. Jones had recently left the band in order to focus on family life following the recent birth of his first child.

PRESS RELEASE MAR 12

RETURN TO THE SABBAT will be performing their first show with new guitarist Andy Newby on April 12th at The Old Vic in Nottingham. Newby recently replaced Simon Jones, who left group in order to concentrate on family life.

APR 12 – THE OLD VIC – NOTTINGHAM

PRESS RELEASE APR 18

Former SABBAT guitarist and acclaimed metal producer Andy Sneap recently explained his reasons for not linking up with ex-SKYCLAD frontman Martin Walkyier in the revamped version of the former group, which is presently calling itself RETURN TO THE SABBAT.

“The way I originally heard about [the reunion] was from one of the guys at Earache [Records], who called me up to ask me about it. I knew nothing about it so I called Martin to ask him about it. The conversation got a little heated and I explained they couldn’t do it under the name SABBAT as both he and [bassist] Frazer quit, leaving me and [drummer] Simon [Negus] with a lot of debts and financial problems to clear up. This was the reason we carried on as SABBAT and did a third album. Obviously we wanted the new line up to work out but it didn’t…simple as that. What it came down to though was Simon Negus and myself, in theory, own the business and name as they left. If you left your employee, you couldn’t go and start that business somewhere else under the same name.

“Anyway, a week later, Martin and Frazer came round to my house and offered me the chance to do it, I decided not to as nobody had even spoken with Simon Negus about this. Then I heard Simon Jones was involved and by this time I’d told SN about everything. A mutual friend had been calling me constantly and when I spoke with Simon Jones about things, it seemed they wanted me to get involved. So I went round, had another chat with Martin and cleared the air, went on holiday wondering about things and I said I’d help them out, even if it was to show them riffs etc, but I couldn’t give them 100% of my time. When I got back I had another chat and was basically told I was too busy and they wanted to do it without me, so I left it at that.

“I think it’s a bit of a shame to go back and do things like this. I’d rather people remembered the band as we were. I know Martin will go on about the third album, but we were in a situation that we were forced into back then.

“I don’t know why [Martin] is so bothered about SKYCLAD [carrying on without him], I don’t see the difference between that and what he is doing here with SABBAT. Martin is a very talented guy and should look forward and focus on things new, and I don’t wish any of them ill feelings.”

PRESS RELEASE APR 23

Britain’s RETURN TO THE SABBAT are currently in the process of booking some low-key performances around Europe and the UK, primarily to serve as preparation for the group’s appearances at Bloodstock and other European festivals later this year. The band’s first performance will take place on Thursday, May 9th at The Lamplighters in Leicester, England.

MAY 4 – BLOODSTOCK – DERBY – ENGLAND rescheduled

MAY 9 – THE LAMPLIGHTERS – LEICESTER- ENGLAND

MAY 24 – ZODIAC – OXFORD- ENGLAND
[w. Cradle Of Filth]

MAY 25 – ABRACADDABRAS – BURTON ON TRENT- ENGLAND
[w.Rock Bitch]

JULY 13 – MEAN FIDDLER – LONDON – ENGLAND
[w. Candlemass]

AUG 31 – BLOODSTOCK – DERBY- ENGLAND
Intro
A Cautionary Tale
Hosanna In Excelsis
I For An Eye
The Clerical Conspiracy
Advent Of Insanity
Do Dark Horses Dream Of Nightmares
Behind The Crooked Cross
The Best Of Enemies

[CD]

PRESS RELEASE NOV 20

RETURN TO THE SABBAT, BAL-SAGOTH and WITHOUT FACE have announced the cancellation of their planned concert at the London Garage on Friday, Nov. 29. “This unfortunate turn of events is not the fault of any of the bands involved, rather down to the negligence of the promoter who appears to have actually forgotten that the bands were booked to play on this day,” reads the official statement posted on RETURN TO THE SABBAT’s web site. “All the artists offer their sincerest apologies to anyone who planned to attend this event, and promise to do their utmost to reschedule a London show in the very near future. We are sadly unable to offer any more detailed information on this matter, as the promoter currently refuses to answer our telephone calls. The show at Bradford Rio’s on December the 1st will take place as planned.”

NOV 29 – THE GARAGE LONDON [w Bal Sagoth/Without Face] CANCELLED

DEC 1 – RIO’S – BRADFORD- ENGLAND [w Bal Sagoth/Without Face]

PRESS RELEASE DEC 20

RETURN TO THE SABBAT and BAL-SAGOTH have announced a London, U.K. date on Mar. 22, 2003 at The Garage. The show is a re-booking of their planned London gig on Nov. 29, which was cancelled at the last minute “due to the negligence of the promoter.” BLOODSTREAM will open the proceedings.